Do you know how to pack a self-storage unit properly? Taking the time to organize and pack efficiently will save you from many headaches and can make the moving process more manageable. Serving Clifton, New Jersey, Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage knows how stressful packing, moving and storing can be, which is why we’re here to provide advice on speeding up the process and fitting everything into your unit.
Supplies You’ll Need
One of the simplest ways to make your life easier while packing is using the right supplies. To ensure a successful move, gather the following supplies:
Sturdy Boxes or Containers
Don’t be fooled into thinking all cardboard boxes are the same. Free boxes from supermarkets or liquor stores come in a range of shapes, impeding your ability to organize most effectively. More so, cheap or free boxes may not be able to handle the weight when stacked on top of each other. Obtaining strong, quality boxes or containers will be worth the investment when packing and moving.
Another packing supply movers may not think they need is bubble wrap. Compared to paper, bubble wrap offers extra protection for your precious belongings and is transparent, making it easier to identify contents. This inexpensive packing tool can be purchased at most office supply stores.
Carrying boxes between places becomes taxing and could lead to damaged possessions. To prevent that from happening, rent a dolly, as it makes moving heavy loads much easier.
Step-By-Step Guide for Packing
Produced by the professionals at Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage, this step-by-step guide is intended to help you through the packing and moving process:
- Prepare: Ensure you have everything you need before you begin packing. This includes enough boxes, tape and bubble wrap. Other packing items to consider are furniture coverings, rope or bungee cords and tools such as hammers, screwdrivers and wrenches.
- Declutter: Packing is one of the best times to sort through your possessions to find stuff you no longer need. Take the items you don’t want and sort them into two groups – “sell” and “donate.”
- Inventory: Create a list of things you need to pack to stay organized. This will also come in handy as you unpack.
- Pack: Packing a storage unit like a pro requires the help of some useful tips and hacks. Some great packing tips include:
- Invest in a wardrobe box with a built-in hanging rod when packing clothes.
- Allow enough time for your appliances to properly defrost.
- Drain washing machines.
- Wrap mirrors with protective coverings.
- If possible, wrap electrical equipment in the original boxes.
- Disassemble furniture for easier packing.
- Use your clothes to fill in gaps between items or protect breakables.
- Label your boxes in detail.
Store Your Valuables in Clifton, NJ
If you are unable to move all your belongings with you, you may be looking to store your things in a safe and convenient space. Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage provides clients in Clifton, NJ, storage units for their additional possessions. To learn more about how to pack a self-storage unit, please contact us today.