- 0 Comments
Clearing Out a Storage Unit with a Summer Storage Garage Sale
If you rent a unit, you may have noticed your items are piling up in storage and it’s time to clear the space out. Summer is a great time of year to go through your self-storage unit and downsize. At Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage, we suggest you host a garage sale. These events are an easy way to free up space in your unit and make some extra cash on the side. Here, we'll provide tips to help you organize and market your garage sale.
Where to Begin?
Looking at your overflowing storage unit, it may be difficult to know where to begin. If you are unsure which items to keep and which to sell, start by asking yourself what you have used in the past six months and what you are likely to use in the next few months. If you can’t definitively answer yes to either of those questions, you should consider placing that item for sale.
If you want to earn as much money as you can with your garage sale, certain items tend to bring in more dollars. To maximize your profits, look for these items within your self-storage unit:
- Games: Whether it’s vintage board games or old video game consoles, these items tend to be a big hit among garage sale shoppers. They may even earn you the most money.
- Gently-used clothing: Clothing with holes and stains are better off in the garbage, but if you have lightly-used, clean clothes in your unit, you can easily sell them at the garage sale.
- Tools: Tools are always a hot commodity at garage sales as customers frequently look for quality equipment at an affordable price.
- Furniture: Home décor pieces in good or excellent condition are ideal for garage sales. Try cleaning old furniture or restoring it to make even more money from the sale.
- Accessories: Shoes, handbags, and jewelry often do very well at garage sales – provided they’re all in good condition. Be sure to list any important information, such as size and brand, to earn the most cash on these items.
- Home appliances: Removing home appliances is crucial when clearing out your unit as they often take up the most space. Beyond that, they typically have the highest price tag. Include any instructional manuals or original power cords you may have to charge even more money.
No matter what you decide to sell from your storage unit, taking the time and putting in the effort to thoroughly clean your items goes a long way. Customers will be more inclined to do business with you knowing you have taken care of your belongings.
Spreading the Word
Now that you’ve decided to host a garage sale and have determined which items in your self-storage unit you will be selling, it’s time to spread the word. Ways to market your garage sale include:
- Signs: Make and post signs around your neighborhood using large enough letters to ensure they are legible to those passing by in cars.
- Online forums: Use any neighborhood forums to promote your garage sale. Include the date, time, location, and a few in-demand items you’re selling to get neighbors excited.
- Word of mouth: Don’t underestimate the power of word of mouth – ask some of your friends and family to tell others about your upcoming garage sale.
- Write an ad: Share your garage sale with a wider audience by writing an ad in your local paper to generate interest.
Display Is Key
Taking the time to neatly display your items is vital to the success of your garage sale. While some customers enjoy rummaging through boxes or bins, others want to find the most valuable items quickly. Therefore, all pieces should be organized and easy to find. Tips for how to set up your garage sale include:
- Lay out items either on a table or on shelves for display
- Hang clothes up and organize them based on size
- Arrange books neatly with the spines out so customers can read their titles
- Establish different sections for similar items
Seek Self-Storage Solutions at Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage
A self-storage garage sale is a great opportunity to free up space in your rented unit. Should you decide you are not ready and require additional space, Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage in Clifton, New Jersey, offers a secure place to store your items. We enforce strict policies to assure every renter and increase customer satisfaction. Contact us today for more information about our facility or take a site tour.