- 0 Comments
Living Space to Storage Space: What Size Do You Need
It's important to choose the proper size of storage units. You'll want to select one that can hold everything you're looking to store and is adequate for the size of your personal space. However, you don't want to pay for more space than you'll actually need. This guide can help you choose the most optimal storage unit size for your personal belongings storage needs.
Steps to Estimate the Perfect Size Storage Unit
If you're asking yourself, "what size of storage unit do I need", here are some steps you can take to estimate the right size.
1. Take an Inventory of Your Personal Belongings
Your initial step to estimate the size unit you'll require is to take inventory of the stuff you have. Identify larger items like tables, sofas, and bookshelves. Count all boxes you have and write everything down to make it easier to refer to later.
While taking inventory, take note of anything that might require climate-controlled storage. For instance, sensitive items such as photographs, business documents, and art will require a lower temperature and humidity setting. You'll need to invest in a climate-controlled storage unit for this.
2. Go Over your Home Storage Options Again
Once you've taken inventory of each room, your next step is to double-check and see if you've used all of the available storage space in your home. If there's a way of storing some items in an unused corner of your garage or a partially empty closet rather than purchasing a larger storage unit than you need, you could save yourself some money.
3. Calculate Your Space
Your next step is to determine the storage unit size by measuring your belongings. There are a couple of ways to do this. You can:
- Put all of your belongings in a pile and take measurements of the pile
- Measure each item's height, width, and length
You're essentially trying to estimate the cubic or square footage for the unit. You can refer to the below storage unit sizing guide for calculating measurements.
Storage Units Sizes Guide
The size of storage units frequently falls into a few common measurements. But, most individuals might not know how to properly calculate the square footage required based on the amount and size of items they're storing. Here are some standard measurements you can go by.
- A 5'x 5' ft. unit size provides 25 sq. ft. of space and can fit enough items as a walk-in closet would, such as six to eight boxes, several pieces of furniture, or seasonal items.
- A 5'x 10' ft. unit size provides 50 sq. ft. of space and fits most items of a small one-bedroom or studio apartment.
- A 10'x 10' ft. unit size provides 100 sq. ft. of space and fits most items of a large studio or one-bedroom apartment.
- A 10'x 15' ft. unit size provides 150 sq. ft. of space and fits most household appliances or furniture or enough items for a small two-bedroom apartment.
- A 10'x 20' ft. unit size provides 200 sq. ft. of space and is big enough to store a compact vehicle or enough items that can fill a small two-bedroom home.
- A 10'x 30' ft. unit size provides 300 sq. ft. of space and is big enough to store a standard-sized vehicle or small boat, or enough items that can fill a two- or three-bedroom house.
- A 15'x 20' ft. unit size provides 300 sq. ft. of space and can store vehicles, boats, or enough items to fill a three- or four-bedroom house.
- A 17'x 20' ft. unit size provides 340 sq. ft. of space and can fit most household belongings. You could store several recreational vehicles (i.e. ATVs, jet skis, motorcycles) or a compact vehicle.
- A 20'x 20' ft. unit size provides 400 sq. ft. of space and is ideal for storing a compact vehicle or enough items to fill a small two-bedroom home.
Once you measure everything, it's now time to decide what size storage unit you require whether it's a small, medium, or large storage unit. Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage can help you with this.
Let Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage Help You Find the Perfect Storage Unit Size
Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage in Clifton, NJ is a family-owned business. We have been around for a while so we can offer steady rates with no corporate mandate. We won't raise your rent. Also, we offer more drive-up units since our facility is large and we offer you the convenience of an APP download (quikstor) so you can open the gates when you need to in order to get to your storage unit.
We serve customers across New Jersey, Clifton, and surrounding areas and provide our tenants with plenty of storage space options. Contact us today through our website or call us at 973-772-1300 to learn more about our different storage unit sizes, availability, and lease agreement options.