- June 11, 2020
- By cliftonrt46selfstorage
Self-storage facilities provide the space you need for the short- or long-term storage of your property. You’ll find numerous affordable options, but don’t make the mistake of skimping on size or security. Pack everything away safely and securely instead of just tossing things into a storage unit and walking away. Keep your items in excellent condition by avoiding these common self-storage mistakes.
Self-Storage Rental Mistakes To Avoid
When it’s time to rent a self-storage unit, don’t make the mistake of only thinking about the cost. Choosing a cheaper storage facility that lacks critical security elements could put your belongings at risk for theft and cost you much more in the long run, especially if you made the mistake of not carrying insurance on your stored items. Look for a reputable storage facility with security cameras and controlled gate access that requires each renter to have a unique entrance code.
Among the most common self-storage mistakes during the rental process is renting a unit that’s too small, which could stem from trying to save money, but it could also be due to a poor estimation of how much space you need. Choosing a unit that’s too small forces you to cram items to make everything fit, which puts your belongings at risk for damage. Rent the right-sized unit by using an online storage calculator and asking the facility’s staff for assistance.
Avoid Self-Storage Packing Mistakes
It’s essential to load your storage unit with long-term storage in mind, even if your plan is only temporary. Avoid self-storage mistakes during packing, stacking, loading, and organizing items in your unit by doing the following:
- Wrap fragile items with plenty of packing materials before packing them securely in closed boxes.
- Cushion wood furniture with moving blankets to prevent scratches while loading and storing them in the unit.
- Use sheets, blankets, and other coverings for cushioned furniture to protect them from dust.
- Never pack anything that’s still wet to discourage mold and mildew from taking over and ruining your belongings.
- Clean, thoroughly dry, and leave doors slightly open on large appliances to prevent mold, mildew, and bacteria growth, which create unpleasant smells.
- Stack boxes safely by putting heavier boxes on the bottom and lighter boxes on the top, ensuring each stack is stable and not too tall, preventing the pile from tumbling down.
Avoid Long-Term Self-Storage Mistakes
Avoid long-term self-storage mistakes that make it harder and more time consuming to find what you need. When you’re short on time, or just in a hurry to get done, you may be tempted to just toss things in your unit without putting any thought into where everything should go. While comprehensive organization takes more time when you initially load your storage unit, it saves you tons of time and frustration later.
- Always place detailed labels on each box to quickly identify what’s inside — stack boxes with labels facing outwards and easily seen. With thorough labeling, you can easily find the items you need without rifling through every container every time you need a specific item.
- Make your unit more accessible with easy navigation through your stacked boxes by leaving a couple of pathways between stacks. That lets you get to the back of your storage unit without having to rearrange the entire space.
- If you’re forced to remove a bunch of stuff to get to something in the back, your careful organization could soon become a jumbled mess. Avoid frequent trips to the back of the unit by putting items you need in the front and things you don’t think you’ll need in the back.
Choose The Storage Experts In Clifton, NJ
Our professional staff at Clifton Rt. 46 Self Storage helps you avoid common self-storage mistakes. We’ll gladly assist you with selecting an appropriately sized unit for your items, packing tips, and understanding facility rules concerning prohibited items. Whether you need short-term or long-term storage, we have the solutions you need. Contact us at 973-772-1300 to rent a storage unit, or reserve a unit online today.